Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly changing the way we live and work, and education is no exception. AI-powered tools are now being used in classrooms around the world to help students learn more effectively.
For parents, this can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, AI can be a powerful tool for helping children succeed in school. On the other hand, there are potential risks associated with AI in education.
Here are some precautions that parents can take to help their children stay safe and secure as they use AI tools in school:
- Talk to your child about the risks of AI. Explain to them that AI is a powerful tool, but it can also be used for malicious purposes. Make sure they know how to protect their personal information and how to spot potential scams.
- Set ground rules for how your child can use AI tools. Decide how much screen time your child is allowed, and what websites and apps they are allowed to use. Make sure they understand that they should never share their personal information online.
- Monitor your child’s online activity. This doesn’t mean you have to be a helicopter parent, but checking in with your child periodically to see what they’re doing online is a good idea. If you see anything that concerns you, talk to them about it. Pulse’s Adaptive WiFi+ HomePass® parental control features allow you to stay on top of what each child is accessing with each device in your home.
- Choose AI-powered tools that are safe and secure. There are a number of AI-powered tools available for schools, but not all of them are created equal. Do some research to find tools that have a good reputation for security and privacy.
- Trust your gut. If you have a feeling that something isn’t right, it probably isn’t. If you’re concerned about your child’s use of AI tools, talk to their teacher or the school principal.
- Talk to your child’s school about their policies on AI. Find out what AI-powered tools are being used in the classroom and how the school is protecting student data.
- Be a role model. Show your child how to use AI responsibly by being mindful of your own online activity.
AI has the potential to revolutionize education, but it’s important to be aware of the risks. By taking precautions and staying informed, parents can help their children reap AI’s benefits without risking their safety.
Another great way to stay ahead of the technology safety curve in Loveland is to check out some of the great and free classes offered by the Loveland Public Library. The library offers classes for all skill levels, including options such as Staying Safe Online Parts 1 and 2, Intro to Social Media, and Don’t Lose Your Data! You can also visit the Thompson School District Innovative Technology Services webpage to learn more about how technology is used in Loveland classrooms.
If you’re interested in learning more about your community-owned, fiber-optic, provider and how Pulse can help you keep your kiddos safe online, we’d love to answer any questions you’ve got. Read our July 2023 article about the parental control features of HomePass®, or call M-F 8-5 to speak to a Loveland-based customer service representative at 970-541-4990.